Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 DB Ghost 5 - Change Manager doesn't work
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

noobix

13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  07:40:15  Show Profile Send noobix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now I'm evaluating your latest DB Ghost 5 beta release.

Using the Data and Schema Scripter I created the sql script file folder structure. That worked as expected creating a bunch of sql files in the file system.

After that I way trying to run the first taks of the Change Manager (Build a database) using the created scripts. The process failed with the error message: "Build.ProcessScripts() Invalid attempt to read when no data is present."

Actually none of the Change Manager tasks could be executed successfully due to the same error.

I forgot to mention that I tried to script the production DB with and without static data but that didn't have any impact on the Change Manager and its task error.

Maybe you can tell me how to interpret/fix that error.

We are looking for a DB change management product that can reliably support us in our DB development/deployment (test/prod) process.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  07:51:33  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you be able to zip the scripts up and send them to techsupp@innovartis.co.uk please?

regards,

Malcolm Leach
You must be logged in to see this link.
DB Ghost Build, Compare and Synchronize = Change Management for SQL Server
Go to Top of Page

noobix

13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  08:00:11  Show Profile Send noobix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Malcolm,

thanks for the fast reply, I do appreciate that!
(always good to know support is right there when you need it)

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to send you the scripts
due to company policy.

Maybe there is another way you could help me?

Regards,
Tino
Go to Top of Page

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  08:04:53  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, could you create a report file from the Change Manager and send that through?

regards,

Malcolm Leach
DB Ghost Build, Compare and Synchronize = Change Management for SQL Server
Go to Top of Page

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  08:05:59  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh, and just so we know exactly where we are what version are you using?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

noobix

13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  08:36:59  Show Profile Send noobix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm using version 5.0.0.634.

A few minutes ago I scripted (without data) Microsoft's sample DB AdventureWorks and tried to build it again from the scripts but the same error keeps popping up.

Unfortunately there is not much information in the report (and build) file (the build process fails right at the beginning, no matter whether I'm using our prod. DB or AdventureWorks).

Here is the report file content:

DB Ghost Database Builder version 5.0.0.634

22.07.2008 15:26:14...Creating Database TestDBGhost from scripts

Go to Top of Page

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  08:59:30  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just tried with version 5.0.635 and managed to build AdventureWorks with no issues so I don't think this problem is anything to do with the database as such.

Are all your SQL Server settings at the "factory defaults"? Do you have SQL 2005 SP2 installed? What collation settings are you using?
Go to Top of Page

noobix

13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  09:06:32  Show Profile Send noobix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any difference between my version 5.0.634 any yours 5.0.635?

My SQL Server 2005 collation is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
(all the databases have the same).

SQL2005 SP2 is a pending windows update on my development machine.
I'll install it tonight.

What do you think could be the problem here?

Go to Top of Page

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  09:10:16  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I don't really know as I can't reproduce the problem here.

I'm just trying to cut down on / understand the difference between your environment and ours. Service Packs etc. are an obvious candidate.

Could you try creating a single table create script and see if the Change Manager can build that? That should tell us whether or not it is a script or configuration related issue.
Go to Top of Page

noobix

13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  09:35:19  Show Profile Send noobix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you suggested I removed all sql scripts but one CREATE TABLE script.

The Change Manager still cannot build that.
Go to Top of Page

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  09:46:35  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks. Let's wait and see what upgrading the Service Pack level does then...
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  09:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can you open up one of the Adventure works scripts that the scripter created - is there anything of interest there?

regards,
Mark Baekdal
Build, Comparison and Synchronization from Source Control = Database change management for SQL Server

Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  10:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
when you try to create the database - is the database TestDBGhost created? That would show that the database created ok, and the problem is dealing with the scripts. Can you record the build sql to a file and check that as well?

regards,
Mark Baekdal
Build, Comparison and Synchronization from Source Control = Database change management for SQL Server

Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  10:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and while i'm thinking about it - could you capture the SQL using profiler to see what SQL the builder last ran before it failed?

regards,
Mark Baekdal

Go to Top of Page

noobix

13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  10:06:56  Show Profile Send noobix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry guys, I made a mistake. I already have SP2 installed.
What I meant by "pending windows update" was the latest security update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack (KB948109).

My SQL Server 2005 version is currently 9.00.3068.00.

Mark, there is nothing special about the AdventureWorks scripts. The same DDL sql stuff as in my prod. DB scripts. I can't see any differences.

If you want I could zip the AdvWorks scripts and send them to you.

Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  10:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think that'll be necessary. What about the other questions - Does the database get created, can you profile the application run and see what statements were run before failure?

regards,
Mark Baekdal

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2