Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 Results to "Report File"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sean

16 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:22:22  Show Profile Send sean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a set of scripts which perform various validation tasks on a built database. If the script is within the "Static Data" build area, results are written to the Report file, if they are in any other directory, including the "Custom Script" directories the Report file appears not to capture any details.

Is there an option somewhere which dictates whether results are written to the Report file?

We are using version 5.0.939 of change manager.

Below are a couple of lines from the Report file, and the contents of the file being run -

11/02/2009 16:13:34...Executing file 10 of 10 files - E:\DatabaseBuildArea\.....\003run-tests.sql
11/02/2009 16:13:34...table checks completed without error
11/02/2009 16:13:37...Executing file 1 of 1 files - E:\DatabaseBuildArea\.....\003run-tests.sql

DB Ghost Database Builder - process complete

file 003run-tests.sql, consists of -

declare @retcode tinyint
exec @retcode = dbo.TestStandardColumns
if @retcode = 1
print 'table checks completed without error'
else
print 'ERROR : !!! Table Checks failed.'

Thanks for you advice,
Sean

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, the print statements are captured in the static data section and written to the UI and log as they are related to the scripter. When the scripter scripts out data it adds print statements to show progress - which is especially important for larger files. No other section gathers these statements.

If you want to raise an error - why not use the RAISERROR statement?

By the way the change manager has had many enhancements since 939 - it's currently at build 969.

regards,
Mark Baekdal
You must be logged in to see this link.
Take control of your SQL Server code.
Go to Top of Page

sean

16 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  01:12:24  Show Profile Send sean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

What are the changes in Change Manager?

The members area has a "Version History" link, but this was last updated in September....am I looking in the wrong area for release notes?

thanks,
Sean
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  01:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are looking in the right area, unfortunately the release notes have fallen behind and require updating. I'll make the request right away.

regards,
Mark Baekdal
Go to Top of Page

sean

16 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  02:01:06  Show Profile Send sean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark,

When using RAISERROR, the value assigned to SEVERITY appears to dictate what is captured by the build Report, for instance -
A value of 15, reports a plain text message plus Error Number, State, Level etc
A value of 18, reports just a plain text message.
In both cases Change Manager reports these as Errors. This behaviour appears to mirror SQL's, in that Severity 11-16 are for normal use, >16 are system errors, and those less than 11 are warnings. If I try a Severity of 5, no message is captured by Change Manager, I was sort of hoping this might be treated as a Warning, is there a work around I can use to get warnings added to the Report file?

I'm currently running this build agaisnt a SQL2000 db.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  02:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't think of a work-around. However depending on what you are trying to achieve you may have an option. If you want the process to continue and the errors are stopping your process there is an option "Continue even if errors are found when building the database" - that way you could raise the error and it'll go into the log and continue...

regards,
Mark Baekdal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page