Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 nvarchar(max)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raastab

6 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  21:46:06  Show Profile Send raastab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The following line is found in some of the static data scripts generated by DBGhost

DECLARE @FileLocation nvarchar(max)

The files are generated when scripting a database located on a sql server 2000 box. I'm attempting to build a database on a sql server 2000 box. Because of the nvarchar(max) keyword, which is not supported by sql server 2000, the build fails.

Is there a way to make the scripts generated compatible with sql server 2000? What are my options here?

Thank you for your time on this.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

raastab

6 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  21:58:31  Show Profile Send raastab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick Update:

The line described appears in just one static data sql script. Other scripts contain variations of that line. The pattern would be:

DECLARE [SomeVariable] nvarchar(max)

The common thread is that each file containing this pattern has a column called SomeVariable of type nvarchar() and size of 4000.

Unfortunately, I still don't know how to prevent this line from being generated. In the next few days I'll try changing those columns to NVARCHAR(3999), though that's not an ideal solution.
Go to Top of Page

raastab

6 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  22:02:33  Show Profile Send raastab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick correction :)

I should have said nvarchar(2000), not 4000.
Go to Top of Page

raastab

6 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  22:34:23  Show Profile Send raastab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One last update:

My last note is incorrect. This only happens when the column is nvarchar(4000).

I did change a couple of columsn to be nvarchar(3999) and it corrected the problem. I'm still interested to know what my other options are.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  02:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What version of DB Ghost are you running?

regards,
Mark Baekdal
You must be logged in to see this link.
Take control of your SQL Server code.
Go to Top of Page

raastab

6 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  10:42:01  Show Profile Send raastab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
Thanks for checking in.

Version: 5.0.0.852
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  10:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you get the latest version and confirm that's it's still there?

regards,
Mark Baekdal
Go to Top of Page

raastab

6 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  10:59:05  Show Profile Send raastab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm evaluating right now, so I don't believe the latest version is available to me. That said, I believe I'll be making the purchase in the coming days. So far, this is the only issue I've run into and I have been able to work around it.

Once I purchase, I should get a member userid/pass and be able to upgrdade. At that point, I'll retest and let you know what I experience. Thanks again for getting back to me.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  11:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get the latest version, the license will remain the same.

regards,
Mark Baekdal
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  06:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
could I get the DDL for one of the tables that you are having problems with? And if you could the insert script? You can post them to support at innovartis dot co dot uk if you like.

regards,
Mark Baekdal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page