Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 Encoding of change script text file
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

druffyw

4 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  07:46:44  Show Profile  Visit druffyw's Homepage Send druffyw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have a problem with the generated change file, we call it delta.sql, which is the result of a database compare between 2 Sql Server 2005 databases.

The file is encoded with UCS-2 little Endian text encoding, meaning that special danish letters are display wrongly.

I read elsewhere that you are able to, other places in the app, to select encoding, but I cannot find an option in the Compare Task.

Is there a way to control the encoding of this file ?

Kind Regards,

Thomas

DBGhost Version: 5.0.0.1038
RegionSettings: US

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  03:27:23  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas,

The delta file is definitely created as Unicode by DB Ghost - are you sure that nothing has happened to the file to make it UCS-2?

Kind regards,

Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

druffyw

4 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  07:07:42  Show Profile  Visit druffyw's Homepage Send druffyw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Malcolm,

I have tried to change RegionSettings for the user that executes the Compare, hoping that this was the issue.

The user had US Regional Setting, and I changed it to UK, but this did not have any effect.

The delta.sql file was still created in UCS-2 little Endian encoding.

The way that I make the delta.sql script is as follows:

- In a FinalBuilder task I execute the following line "ChangeManagerCmd.exe BuildNewDB_SafetyNet_CustomerA.dbgcm" (Builds SourceDB).

- In a FinalBuilder task I execute the following line "ChangeManagerCmd.exe BuildReferenceDB_SafetyNet_CustomerA.dbgcm" (Builds TargetDB).

- In a FinalBuilder task I execute the following line "ChangeManagerCmd.exe CompareDB_SafetyNet_CustomerA.dbgcm", which creates the diff script to between TargetDB and SourceDB.

I have mailed you the 3 files for reference.

Server is Windows 2003 Standard Service Pack 2.

I have also tried manually executing the above commands in a command prompt, with the same result.

Its only the delta.sql that has the UCS-2... encoding, all Before and After scripts keep their current encoding. (most of the time UTF-8 or ANSI)

Kind Regards,

Thomas,

PS:
I can only run the above either in FinalBuilder tasks or on a command prompt.
If I use the DBGhost GUI it complains that it cannot find certains of the Included folders (I have mailed you screenshot).
It is correct that sometimes these folders will not exist, but how come it only fails when I use the GUI and not when I execute e.g. from a command prompt ?
Go to Top of Page

dbghost

66 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  08:41:18  Show Profile  Visit dbghost's Homepage Send dbghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Thomas,

What method are you using to determine the encoding used in the file?

UCS-2 is an obsolete encoding very similar to UTF-16. Ghost should be creating the file as UTF-16 Little endian, according to our visual studio documentation.
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  05:36:10  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas,

Where are the letters not displaying correctly? in a query window or notepad or somewhere else?

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2