Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 How compatible is DBGhost V5 with SQL Server 2008?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rcdazo

6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  02:38:18  Show Profile  Visit rcdazo's Homepage Send rcdazo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We just upgraded our databases to SQL Server 2008. When I run DBGhost V5 , it is not as fast as when I run it against a database from SQL Server 2005.

Thoughts?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  03:15:00  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

To answer the title of you post... DBG is very compatible with SQL 2008. Customers are using it all over the world.

To answer brief speed question.... without any detail it could be almost anything.

There are not many code differences between 2005/8 in DBG so there is nothing inherent in DBG that would make it work slower with 2008.

"upgraded our databases"... what was the upgrade process? Were any schema changes made or are you simnply hosting a 2005 database on a 2008 instance with ver 9 compatibility?

If you are comparing speeds between a 2008 instance and a 2005 instance, are the configurations comparable in terms of memory and processors etc.

If the instances are on different servers are the servers comnparable?

Has the physical file location changed ie. are disk i/o conditions the same?

etc.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

rcdazo

6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  03:30:48  Show Profile  Visit rcdazo's Homepage Send rcdazo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"upgraded our databases"... what was the upgrade process? Were any schema changes made or are you simnply hosting a 2005 database on a 2008 instance with ver 9 compatibility?

Yes. you are correct.

I am just wondering about the article posted from here on what's next section:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Using a 2005 database hosted in SQL Server 2005, the DBGhost schema compare databases within 10-15mins. But when a 2005 database hosted in SQL Server 2008, it is now close to an hour for DBGhost schema compare.

What should be the factor of decrease in performance?
Go to Top of Page

rcdazo

6 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  20:46:21  Show Profile  Visit rcdazo's Homepage Send rcdazo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  03:55:59  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Microsoft will be the first to admit that not all queries will run faster in 2008 than in 2005 especially since you are asking 2008 to run backwardly compatible with youe 2005 database; I expect that will mean less than optimal performance.

This has not been reported by other customers. So I think you will have to use profiler to figure out which queries are slower.

You are comparing times for a DB Ghost Compare on 2005 and 2008. is it the same databases you are comparing i.e are the differences the same?

Really this could be anything, i suggest you look at you sql 2008 configuration and things in my previous post.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

rcdazo

6 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  03:05:22  Show Profile  Visit rcdazo's Homepage Send rcdazo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon,

I am using the same database I have used before the first time I used DBGhost. The only difference is that we are now hosting the database in SQL Server 2008.

I was able to fix the performance issue and is now back to respectable time of around 12minutes to compare. What I did is I script out the 2005 database hosted in SQL Server 2008 using DBGhost and build the database. I just assume that DBGhost will use SQL Server 2008 program logics for scripting and building the database since it is hosted in SQL Server 2008.

Thanks again for the support.
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  03:12:36  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done, that is right DB Ghost uses the scripting dialect specific to the actual server. So you new database should be a proper 2008 database.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

AndyBarnhart

1 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  05:59:21  Show Profile Send AndyBarnhart a Private Message  Reply with Quote

EDIT - After posting this, I tried to get my password sent to me from the login area and finally found it was getting picked up as likely spam, as was a reply to my spport request on 6/23.

I am having trouble getting DBGhost to work properly in 2008.

I point at the scripts used in 2005 and it creates the database but skips over adding static data. It draws the "jagged arrow" to indicate it is in process and then jumps down to the next step.

You must be logged in to see this link.

I tried mounting a database created in 2005 under 2008 and then generating script in DBGhost; when I tried to use that script against 2008 with DBGhost it failed on a table creation.

I reported this to DBGhost on 6/23 and have yet to receive any response.

-Andy

Edited by - AndyBarnhart on 07/06/2010 06:11:19
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  06:16:01  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Andy, I believe we replied to you email with in ten minutes of recieving it on 23 June.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2