Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 Out of Memory Exception with Packager
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChinnoDog

3 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  16:15:03  Show Profile  Visit ChinnoDog's Homepage  Send ChinnoDog an AOL message Send ChinnoDog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on a DB Ghost trial license an am trying to see if I can replace a database upgrade process with the Packager it but it is throwing an out of memory exception. It runs for awhile before throwing the error, during which time I monitor my workstation's memory usage. Usage for the Packager rises to over 900mb but there is still plenty of free memory. I moved the source and destination databases to a SQL server and set 2GB memory limits for each instance but still get the same results. Ideas?

Here is the exception:
Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at ea.E.C()
at cH.F()
at dm.A(gd A_0)
at gx.A(gd A_0, bb A_1)
at gx.A(gd A_0)
at gx.A(Byte[] A_0, ISLMVirtualMachineParams A_1, ah A_2)
at hl.A(Assembly A_0, Byte[] A_1, ISLMVirtualMachineParams A_2)
at hl.A(Assembly A_0, String A_1, ISLMVirtualMachineParams A_2)
at Microsoft.Licensing.SLMRuntime.InternalSVMExecMethod(Assembly declaringAssembly, String SVMMethodId, ISLMVirtualMachineParams paramsReader)
at Microsoft.Licensing.SLMRuntime.SVMExecMethod(Object obj, String SVMMethodId, Object[] args)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.Compilation.ProcessVanilla(ProjectSettings sessionProjectSettings, String workingDirectory)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.Packager.Process()
at Innovartis.DBGhost.Packager.PageSummary.ProcessBuild(ProjectSettings processInstanceObject)

I am running the packager on Windows 7 64-bit with 2gb of memory. I closed down all my other applications on the last run to be sure there was the maximum amount of free memory available. The SQL server is running Server 2003 64-bit and SQL Server 2008. The source database is about 1GB and the destination is about 512MB.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  03:58:04  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Out of memory seems an odd error given that you databases are small and windows is suppoesd to virtualise memory resources.

Are there any per process or per user memory limits that might be stopping it?

Is there anything significant about your database, does it have huge number of objects? Are you trying to package millions of static data rows?

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  04:03:40  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I notice you are using the basic Packager product. Have you tried using the Packager Plus product instead?

To narrow this problem down:

First try the individual steps of the process using the Change Manager GUI.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

ChinnoDog

3 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:47:09  Show Profile  Visit ChinnoDog's Homepage  Send ChinnoDog an AOL message Send ChinnoDog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no artificial limits on this workstation. I set it myself and I am administrator on it and the sole user. Neither source nor destination database has any production data in it. Most of the space is probably consumed by executable modules being stored as blob data in one particular table; that table has 996 rows. The rest is mostly empty with some rows that are part of the empty database. I am attempting to determine if DB Ghost can be used to replace the service pack process we use.

I ran Packager Plus twice. The first time it threw a different exception (below) during detection on the source database. A second error also appears that is not caught as an exception in the event log which I have typed further down. I have 8.51GB free on my workstation and 390GB free on the SQL server so I don't see how this can be correct. The second run I get an out of memory error again. That is pasted at the bottom. I ran a memory test on my workstation just in case. On the table selection screen I select all of the tables. The verbiage of this screen is confusing to me because it refers to "static data" but the help indicates that if I don't select the table it won't be used in the comparison. I need the entire schema and any additional table rows added to the destination so I select it all.

Could not compile installer - dot net compiler error(s) encountered.
The name of the installer '_Aptify50SP2' may be the cause of the following errors:
Could not write to output file 'c:\Users\stephenn\AppData\Local\Temp\DBGWorkingDir_634141813850406310\_Aptify50SP2\_Aptify50SP2.exe' -- 'Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. '
Try changing the name of the installation.

at ea.E.C()
at cH.F()
at dm.A(gd A_0)
at gx.A(gd A_0, bb A_1)
at gx.A(gd A_0)
at Microsoft.Licensing.SLMRuntime.InternalSVMExecMethod(Assembly declaringAssembly, String SVMMethodId, ISLMVirtualMachineParams paramsReader)
at Microsoft.Licensing.SLMRuntime.SVMExecMethod(Object obj, String SVMMethodId, Object[] args)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.Compilation.ProcessMain(PlusProjectSettings projectsettings)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.Compilation.ProcessPlus(PlusProjectSettings sessionProjectSettings, String workingDirectory)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.PackagerPlus.Process()
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus.PageSummary.ProcessBackGroundBuild(PlusProjectSettings processInstanceObject)

-----------------------------------------------
Second error that appears

Window title: Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus.exe - Application Error

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process ID=0x288 (648), Thread ID=0x69c (1692).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

------------------------------------------------
OOM from second run of Packager Plus

Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at ea.E.C()
at cH.F()
at dm.A(gd A_0)
at gx.A(gd A_0, bb A_1)
at gx.A(gd A_0)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.Compilation.ProcessMain(PlusProjectSettings projectsettings)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.Compilation.ProcessPlus(PlusProjectSettings sessionProjectSettings, String workingDirectory)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.PackagerPlus.Process()
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus.PageSummary.ProcessBackGroundBuild(PlusProjectSettings processInstanceObject)
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  18:34:15  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
re first error: did you try changing the name to something plain like "ChinnoTest"?

Re second error: can you try it without the blob table? I expect scripting that for packaging will cause problems.

All the table definitions will be compared. That screen is for selecting which data you want compared. By static data we mean simple lookup data.

DBG is not a tool for delivering large data objects. i think you might need to find another way to ship your executable modules.

Which version are you evaluating?

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

ChinnoDog

3 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  12:50:51  Show Profile  Visit ChinnoDog's Homepage  Send ChinnoDog an AOL message Send ChinnoDog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I eliminated the table with the blobs and its one dependent table on the static table selection screen. References to objects in the table elsewhere in the database are not enforced at the SQL level so there are no other database level dependencies. I just get a different out of memory exception though. This time it occurred midway through the process and appeared in an exception window that was frozen to the screen until processing had finished. It still reports "completed with errors". I named the project "test" this time. The objects that I excluded are critical to the application and will change between every major update of the source database, so if the tool can't handle the 950 or so records then I may need to select a different tool. This database doesn't even have any production data in it and I will need to apply the changes to production systems. I am using DB Ghost 5.0.0.1204. Here is the new OOM exception:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.GetWindowText(HandleRef hWnd, StringBuilder lpString, Int32 nMaxCount)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_WindowText()
at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.get_WindowText()
at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.ScrollToCaret()
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus.PageSummary.AddTreenode(String EventMessage, TreeNodeCollection rootnodes, String parentkey, String childKey, Int32 ImageIndex)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus.PageSummary.SynchProcessUpdateOnUI(Object sender, PackagerRaisedEventArgs e)
at Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus.PageSummary.backgroundWorker_ProgressChanged(Object sender, ProgressChangedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnProgressChanged(ProgressChangedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.ProgressReporter(Object arg)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.
----------------------------------------
Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus
Assembly Version: 5.0.0.1204
Win32 Version: 5.0.0.1204
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerPlus.exe
System.Windows.Forms
System
System.Drawing
Innovartis.DBGhost.UIShared
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.UIShared.DLL
Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.PackagerAPI.DLL
Innovartis.DBGhost.Explorer
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.Explorer.DLL
System.Configuration
System.Xml
Microsoft.Licensing.Runtime2.0
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1
Win32 Version: 2.0.1314.0
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Microsoft.Licensing.Runtime2.0.DLL
Microsoft.Licensing.Utils2.0
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Microsoft.Licensing.Utils2.0.DLL
Microsoft.Licensing.Permutation_31811_2.0
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Microsoft.Licensing.Permutation_31811_2.0.DLL
System.Web.Services
System.DirectoryServices
System.Web
Accessibility
Innovartis.DBGhost.CompAndSyncAPI
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.CompAndSyncAPI.DLL
Innovartis.DBGhost.Common
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.Common.DLL
DevComponents.DotNetBar2
Assembly Version: 6.4.0.0
Win32 Version: 6.4.0.0
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/DevComponents.DotNetBar2.DLL
Interop.SourceSafeTypeLib
Assembly Version: 5.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 5.1.0.0
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Interop.SourceSafeTypeLib.DLL
System.Deployment
u5jllajs
System.Data
System.Transactions
System.EnterpriseServices
Innovartis.DBGhost.BuilderAPI
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.BuilderAPI.DLL
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
Innovartis.DBGhost.SysChecks
CodeBase: You must be logged in to see this link.(x86)/DB%20Ghost/Innovartis.DBGhost.SysChecks.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:19:46  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok this is now looking more like some nasty windows/threading/memory issue. That stack dump puts the error somewhere in a Microsoft .net assembly. Windows.Forms is part of the .net runtime. This could be the underlying problem all along.

Normally i would ask for a SQL profiler trace, but not sure it will reveal anything as this looks like a GUI problem. But just in case, could you email me a trace. jon.woolgar@innovartis.co.uk.

First I would make sure Windows and .net runtime are up to date with latesr service packs.

Then we need to narrow this down...

Does it give this error for any database or just this one?

We have quite a few customers already on win7 64 but, perhaps this is do do with how Windows 7 64 bit runs 32 assemblies. I suspect you would know more than me about this.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2