Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 Packager Plus: After Build Script
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cmyers

1 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  07:57:01  Show Profile Send cmyers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have custom scripts turned on for my project, but I cannot find the after build script options. I have before and after sync scripts that work no problem. I am using an existing database as the source.

Version: 5.0.0.1353

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

dbghost

66 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  09:12:20  Show Profile  Visit dbghost's Homepage Send dbghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The after build scripts are only available if you are actually building the source database from scripts.
Go to Top of Page

Gary

12 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  06:14:09  Show Profile Send Gary a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came here with the same query. So is there no way to run a post-build script when using Packager Plus to build a new database. I have a script that needs to be run after creation, but currently, I can only apply it during upgrades.
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  09:23:25  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try to give some back ground.... Packager Plus uses the under lying DBGhost build process to generate script that will be packaged.
a) When the package is run at the delivery site that script is used to create a source database. If the package is run in create mode processing finishes.
b) However if running the package to upgrade an existing target database then the package has more work to do; after creating the source database it uses the DBGhost compare and sync process to do the upgrade.

OK the terms before and after refer to when the underlying DBGhost processes are run. So....

In upgrade mode the before sync and after sync scripts are run by the package at delivery time before and after the comp and sync process.

But the after build custom scripts... these are not run explicitly by the package, they are run by Packager Plus when it does the build process that they refer to. So if you have an after build script that inserts some data that effect will be captured in the package script and the data will exists in the source database that the package eventually creates.

NB. The "after build" custom scripts are only selectable if the package is based on scripts i.e. when there actually is a build process used in the creation of the package.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

Gary

12 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  09:51:29  Show Profile Send Gary a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand what you're telling me, but if I was to execute a DBGhost script at the customer site using the Compare Manager, I could specify a script to run after building the new database. Are you saying that by using Packager Plus, that option is removed?

The specific script I'm referring to in this case, sets account permissions on the database. Their dbadmins can of course do so manually after the fact, but the whole reason we touted Packager Plus was the ability to avoid or eliminate manual interaction and thereby reduce the scope for human error.
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  12:09:24  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that is right the build process is not actually run at the customer site so the after build script is not run at the customer site.

You can of course ship a second package that just has a custom script in it to do the after work.

Or you can use Change Manager build task to generate a database build script, including your after script. Then make package that just contains that whole build script as if it were a custom script.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

Gary

12 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  14:40:42  Show Profile Send Gary a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had contemplated creating separate creation/update packages and ultimately plumped for creating a single package that they could use to create or update a database in their environments.

I'm now somewhat rueing that decision as firstly it forced me into building the database from an existing database because building it from scripts doesn't let me specify which tables get populated with static data in different runs when creating or updating the database. I then went on to discover that silent installs would require the package to be published for only one action anyway. I think at some point, I will have to revisit the process and will create two separate, silent installers, but it's good to know these limitations upfront.
Go to Top of Page

jon.woolgar

105 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  14:47:17  Show Profile  Visit jon.woolgar's Homepage Send jon.woolgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary, I'm sorry your scenario seems to be so difficult to achieve. The packages are really (in all but straight forward situations) just building blocks. I know some users build multiple packages into a wider delivery mechanism. Wrapping the packages with a bbatch file or even a small app that deploys the appropriate packages via their command lines.

Regards Jon W
(Innovartis)
Go to Top of Page

cindyjohn

2 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2012 :  21:38:06  Show Profile Send cindyjohn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This rings a bell.

I am a spammer and Pandora Charms sell rubbish cheap and nasty tacky trinkets and uses forum spamming in a pathetic attempt to get you to look at their website.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2