Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 Multiple schemas in a single database
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kenny

4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  15:51:26  Show Profile Send kenny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot figure out how to support database objects created in a non-default schema.

Example, how can I manage (i.e. script, package, etc.) a stored procedure named 'accounting.getTransactions' instead of 'dbo.getTransactions', where 'accounting' is a SQL Server schema object (not the other sense of 'schema').

I am specifically trying to create a DB Ghost Packager Plus executable from scripts in source control, but Packager Plus fails when trying to create the (non-default-)schema-scoped objects.

As a test, I created a new SQL Server DB ('A') and added a single table 'test.things'; I then used DB Ghost Packager Plus to create an executable and it worked perfectly, creating the schema object, and accurately creating the table in the correct schema, in the target database.

However, when I use the Data and Schema Scripter to script DB 'A' and then use the script files with Packager Plus, the build process fails when processing the schema-scoped objects.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  16:03:07  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The schema functionality is all present in the 5.0 version of the Data and Schema Scripter.

It's currently in beta but will be released to live very shortly.

regards,

Malcolm Leach
You must be logged in to see this link.
DB Ghost Build, Compare and Synchronize = Change Management for SQL Server
Go to Top of Page

kenny

4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  16:05:22  Show Profile Send kenny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the super-speedy response!

Is the beta available for download for existing customers?
Go to Top of Page

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  02:42:24  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the beta is available on the evaluation page and also in the member's area :)

regards,

Malcolm Leach
Go to Top of Page

kenny

4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  08:27:14  Show Profile Send kenny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will the existing version of Packager Plus handle the 'schema' scripts from the new version of the Data and Schema Scripter?

If so, is there a way to script schemas manually that Packager Plus will recognize?
Go to Top of Page

leachm

125 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  08:30:38  Show Profile  Click to see leachm's MSN Messenger address Send leachm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the current version of Packager Plus can handle all of the SQL 2005 objects - you just need to add the schema script directory as an additional "users and roles" folder in the UI.

The v5.0 Packager Plus UI has all of the SQL 2005 objects in the "add" list so it's completely obvious what to do.

regards,

Malcolm Leach
Go to Top of Page

kenny

4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  08:48:59  Show Profile Send kenny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That worked! Brilliant!

Cheers,
Kenny
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2