Database Change Management
Database Change Management
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 DB Ghost Support Forum
 Control Scripting In Data and Schema Scripter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWhitehead

11 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  14:26:15  Show Profile Send RWhitehead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just downloaded the eval and am using the Data and Schema Scripter to script out my database.

There are several things I am observering that I am wondering if they are controllable via Options, but I have gone thru the wizard twice and did not see and Advanced or Options button/section.

Some of the items I have noted and would like to control:
1. I would prefer to not have the drop at the top of the table defintion. No good reason, other than it is a bit of a safety net in the event I run the script against a database accidently.
2. In table defintions, contstraints are mixed in with the column the definitions. I have always seperated them and prefer this method for readability and clarity.
i.e.:
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[MyTable] (
[MyPrimaryKeyID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL ,
[BlahBlah] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL ,
[more colums....]
go
ALTER TABLE [MyTable] ADD
CONSTRAINT [PK_MyTable] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED
(
[MyPrimaryKeyID]
) WITH FILLFACTOR = 98 ON [PRIMARY]
GO

instead of:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[MyTable] (
[MyPrimaryKeyID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL ,
[BlahBlah] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL
CONSTRAINT [PK_MyTable] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED
(
[MyPrimaryKeyID]
) WITH FILLFACTOR = 98 ON [PRIMARY]
[more colums....]
)
go

3. Data is not aligned in the Static Data files. I find when the data is not aligned it is difficult to read and harder to maintain.
i.e.:
insert [dbo].[Messages]([MessageID],[Severity],[Description], [LocaleID])
values( 0, 10, N'No', 31001)

instead of:
insert [dbo].[Messages]([MessageID],[Severity],[Description],[LocaleID])
values(0,10,N'No',31001)

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

RWhitehead

11 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  14:29:42  Show Profile Send RWhitehead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more thing...

I would prefer the files on disk not be prefixed with the owner.

This observation is mostly to simplify my migration to your tool as I already have all of my DB objects scripted and in my version control system with years of revisions and labels, and to have to change the filename requires changing 1000's of files manually via the backdoor or losing all of my revision history :-(
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  14:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you have all your objects scripted already, why use the scripter?

regards,
Mark Baekdal
You must be logged in to see this link.
+44 (0)208 241 1762
Build, Comparison and Synchronization from Source Control = Database change management for SQL Server

Go to Top of Page

RWhitehead

11 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  20:44:30  Show Profile Send RWhitehead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have been building and maintaining our own scripter and builder for the last four years, and we are now considering transitioning all of this to DB Ghost. The benefits are that we would no longer need to build and maintain out tools, something which may not be trivial porting to SQL 2005. Thus, we are interested in and trying to embrace everything which DBGhost has to offer, but at the same time trying to minimize the cost and shock of transition to a new tool.

Thus, my questions above are some initial differences I observed which if I can control via options in Scripter then I have significantly minimized the change in formatting of our code, and eased the transition in our version management system.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Baekdal

88 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  23:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Mark Baekdal's Homepage Send Mark Baekdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still don't understand why you need to use the scripter as you already have all your code scripted so you can use the builder with your own scripts. This would mean the least amount of change. The scripter originally was created for those who didn't have their db objects scripted as a quick means of getting everything scripted and into source control. If you already have this then you probably don't need to repeat it unless I'm missing something?

regards,
Mark Baekdal
+44 (0)208 241 1762
Build, Comparison and Synchronization from Source Control = Database change management for SQL Server

Go to Top of Page

RWhitehead

11 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  04:22:01  Show Profile Send RWhitehead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough.

I will not concern myself with the Scripter at this point and will proceed with my evaluation using my own scripts.

Thanx,
Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Database Change Management © Copyright 2005 Innovartis Ltd. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2